Thursday 25 November 2010

Airline archtop acoustic guitar

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Further evidence that you can't always believe what you read on eBay. The seller of this gloriously Art Deco-looking Airline archtop obviously hasn't done his/her homework when listing this guitar on eBay, claiming it is from the 1940s. Although now revived by Eastwood Guitars, originally Airline was a brandname of the Valco Manufacturing Company for guitars sold through Montgomery Ward mail order between 1958-1968.

By the way, although this guitar looks fine in the above images, photos on the eBay listing showing the rear of the guitar tell a sadder story. The neck/body join needs some serious repair work.

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

7 comments:

  1. Apparently YOU don't do your homework Research either! Airline was the brand name used by Montgomery Wards, but the guitars were made by KAY Musical Instruments of Chicago! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Musical_Instrument_Company

    AFTER Kay went out of business in the LATE 60's, the NAME was bought by Valco! Valco "Kay" guitars are worthless and are NOT collectors items!

    Hows that Foot in your Mouth Taste??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worthless??? Nah, I don’t think so! It is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. I used one exactly like the one shown here for many years. I made a big mistake when I gave it away. My son wanted to learn so I gave my beloved guitar to him. If I had the cash, I would buy this one without any questions asked. Worthless.......no way! I personally place a great value on it.

      Delete
  2. Whoah! Don't get your knickers in a twist.

    We are not Professional guitar bloggers with 100% of our time to devote to writing these posts. We do it for the love of the subject. And yeah, we make mistakes, and are happy to admit so when we do.

    Foot in the mouth taste? How's that self-righteous glow you've got?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not so much the dollar value as it is the value of a memory. I just gave an identical guitar to my son. He is proud to own it simply because his father, me, played that beautiful piece of woodwork for more than 50 years. It is a memory he can have of a parent that will soon be gone. Always leave a memory, preferably a good one. To him that cheap guitar is worth more than money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a line on an identical one, even the neck needs work (block separated from neck.. That said, what do you think it's worth for me to buy, repair neck, set up, new strings.. Then I resell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you.. Oh the one I'm looking at is matte black with white detail (it's yellowed !)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis