Sunday 14 August 2011

Electra guitar from Japan with MMK 45 pickups

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Other than this is an Electra guitar, supposedly Matsumoku-made, I know very little about this beastie. The seller of this particular example on eBay (Buy It Now price is $265) is keen to point out that the MMK 45 pickups sell for $125 each on eBay. These, it seems are desirable pickups, but I confess I am not a pickup nerd; I know what I like and what I don't like (let's not go there again) but I don't really know a great deal about pickups. An online forum tells me that MMK 45s have 11.8K coils with ceramic magnets, but please don't ask me to dissect that information!

Anyway, it's a fine looking guitar from 1980s Japan, and for a guitar which is basically derived from the Les Paul (two pickups each with a volume and tone control, three-way selector switch, tune-o-matic style bridge and separate tailpiece) I much prefer this layout with the pickup selector adjacent to the other controls, i.e. somewhere I wouldn't be hitting it by accident.

G L Wilson

© 2011, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:40 pm

    The pickups look to be the wrong way round - the screwed slugs on the bridge pickup should be on the bridge side and on the neck pickup they should be on the neck side.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis